Sunday, February 24, 2008

my lil niece

Suddenly coding in 'php' seems very interesting. I cant actually believe it that i sat on a problem and finished it within an hour, of which i have been thinking over a week - Contemplating to do or not for my project.Thanks to one of my roomies yoma- a casual chat with him triggered it all.
Yesterday i got pinged on my gtalk messenger from my cousins ID. To my surprise it was my niece who is in her 7th grade rite now. when i asked her for my cousin, she replied saying she'd gone out.
I lost a second understanding that moment. I was thinking what was i capable of doing with the computer when i was in the 7th grade. Here she is able to turn it on, find her way to gtalk and log into it( maybe it happens automatically) finding me and chatting with me on it. i was totally impressed.
The computer class in my 7th standard used to be waiting for my turn in a line to play this age old game called bricks- trying to reflect a ball off a horizontally movable surface and demolish as many brick as possible.(how intellectual!!)
Does this mean, are kids getting more intelligent than they used to be ?? or are they just getting used to operating the comp so easily cause they are introduced to it earlier in age.
I believe this paves way for a bigger problem - doesnt this mean that by the time my niece is my age, she'd probably be way more knowledgeable than me. Isnt that messing up the whole age long knowledge vs age balance?? And bty, i don't think this holds good only to the technology aspect of it. I am trying to apply it to different scenarios and looks like its a messy problem.. or am i just wasting my time thinking about stuff life this??

6 comments:

Rainman said...

Happens all the time man! Our generation could handle the television with ease when we were kids, I'm sure the previous generation would've looked at us with awe, since they wouldn't have had access to TVs and set top boxes as kids! Something new comes up every generation, but what's really happening is these kids don't indulge in outdoor sports as much as we did, thanks to indoor gaming (a.k.a. console gaming or PC gaming).

Ne said...

face it. ur getting old. :)

zudec said...

@ne - Yeah, thats for sure there.. i already feel like an uncle anyways.!!!

arun said...

probly ur uncle feels the same :P

Umashankar said...

Yeah it's true kids these days are more knowledgeable when it comes to computers. These kids are always glued to the TV sets and computers. Not to mention the kids that watch mega serials. :(

I learnt Logo in my 3rd grade. Have you guys even heard about Logo??
FD100 RT 90 FD100 RT90...
to draw a square. I always drew ships and planes that my dad thought I'd be an army officer when I grow up..And then I was very puny. So decided to take up computers..lol

I cannot forget Basic. I had that damn subject 6th till 11th. I didn't know why my school stuck with Basic for such a long time. Probably, the teachers didn't know any other programming language.

Unknown said...

Yup you're right! Kids know better than us, old people ;)